Re: [SLUG] Mouse vexation

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 21:46:56 EDT

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 10:54, Scott Piper wrote:
> what does /dev/mouse point to? try /dev/ttySX if your mouse is a serial
> version, or /dev/psaux for a ps/2 one.
>
> If killing gpm before starting X works (/etc/init.d/gpm stop) then try
> using /dev/gpmdata for your device instead of /dev/mouse
>

> scott
>
> Logan wrote:

<snip repeating myself>

Thanks Scott,

        My /dev/mouse was already pointing to /dev/gpmdata. When I changed it
to point to /dev/psaux (as I have a PS/2 three button Logitech mouse,)
it still exhibited the same bizarre behavior of hanging out at the
bottom of the screen and firing off random menus, just like when I
edited my XF86Config by hand, changing the pointer section. I think I
can suffer with pushing two buttons while using a GUI, until Woody is
stable. I am trying out Debian stable with a Ximian Desktop, as I am
planning on converting everyone's terminal at work to this
configuration. Why? Evolution 1.0.7 is Outlook enough that all I have
to do is slowly goad everyone into Open Office via Star Office on their
Windoze boxen, and they will all be satisfied. Now if I could just cure
this mouse thing...

        Personal Note: After using Gnome for many a year, Ximian Desktop on
top of Debian Potato has yet to crash. (Sorry, not a KDE fan...) I
punish my system with graphics via Gimp, Evolution and Star Office 5.2
open all the while and I have never had my applets all reset
themselves... which happened when I tried Ximian on top of both Red Hat
and SuSE. My hat is off to the folks at Debian and Ximian. Again,
<dodging flying objects> this is my personal opinion and not a
Troll/Flame War starter.

Logan

--
9:20pm up 1 day, 16:54, 0 users, load average: 0.04, 0.26, 0.75
Do not overtax your powers.