Re: [SLUG] Question

From: John D. (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 00:30:40 EDT

diego henao wrote:

> Sir, I know some things about fstab. I want you to read the email again.
> First at all, there are two different machines. Second, my windows xp is
> not running in fat, it is running in NTFS.
>
> Thanks Diego

/msdos is FAT8 or FAT12, readable by XP, 2000, Linux, Unix, most BSDs,
etc. It is another way of running floppy format data on a HD.

FAT type is FAT16, which would be my personal favorite. Right now, as
far as I know, NTFS 5 and up are not supported fully for WRITE ability
except on a formal network. The temporary kludge is to use FAT in one of
its variants as a partition on on a common space on the FTP server
(which can be either machine)-- FAT16 is used for longer file name
support than would older plain FAT. FAT32 (vfat) is "alpha" on some
kernels now in use as far as write goes, partly because the long file
naming is different than the Unix approach. Samba knows NT 4 journalling
structures reasonably well, but not so well does it do NT 5.0 or up
writes that the other end will not consider junk due to invalid
journalling info(Microsoft does not openly pub its journalling specs in
detail, so software dev has to feel its way in part and reverse engineer
in other parts). XP Pro will work on a network, except for journalling
info passon-- to keep date and time file data in pure sync as it travels
(this is the core of why both NT and 2000 got retro patched in large
part as journalling in NTFS developed). With FTP, this timing
maintainance can be an issue, so usually a commonly addressable file
system is used as the easiest fix-- older is more common.

John.