Re: [SLUG] Question

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 01:21:37 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: John D. <jdii1215@comcast.net>
To: slug@nks.net <slug@nks.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Question

>diego henao wrote:
>>
>> Sir, I know some things about fstab. I want you to read the email again.
>> First at all, there are two different machines. Second, my windows xp is
>> not running in fat, it is running in NTFS.
>>
>> Thanks Diego

The one thing is though NTFS on NT. 4.0 Service Pack 4 is the same NTFS as
2000 and Xp Professional.
Prior version of NTFS on Nt 4.0 SP 3 or less is the same as NTFS from NT 3x
series.

As for Fat , Fat 16 or Fat 32 there is no good security so sharing a Fat
directory would not be a good Ideal.
How ever Fat is much faster. Just no way to Secure it From any version of
Windows even Nt 4.0 , 2000, or Xp Pro.

That is why they also brought out Directory Services which was a take off
from Novell. How ever to use Directory services again Nt 4.0 SP4 , 2000 or
XP Pro on a NTFS partition only so on a Fat Partition it can do nothing for
security on the Windows Side!

I think though from what the person wanted to know is a way to share through
the Linux side on a different machine on a different
drive and to allow sharing through FTP to people to access files and etc.,

If Samba has a problem with NTFS from 2000 and XP which he said he has then
even if he had NTFS on Nt 4.0 Sp4 or up to 6 it would still have the same
problems.