Re: [SLUG] kernel compile tutorial and problems

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 10:49:13 EDT

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 09:59, Mikes work account wrote:
> I just compiled the 2.4.10 kernel and it just looks and will not load. It
> checks for keyboard and mouse and then after that it finds the hard disk
> and the floppy and then after I choose the kernel I want it says loading
> linux-2.4.10 for just a quick s econd and then it just starts over again.
> Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the error??

This usually happens if you compile a kernel for optimizations of a
newer proc (like a Pentium II or Athlon K7) and try and run it on an
earlier proc. I've also seen earlier rather flakey 2.4 kernels with K7
optimizations spontaneously reboot on a K7 for no apparent reason.

Optimizations are usually the reason, but sometimes it's a driver
problem or other issue. This is why I *like* modular kernels rather than
monolithic ones - it's relatively easy to remove a driver from an initrd
rather than rebuild a kernel just to get around a flakey driver.

> Does anyone have access to a good clear tutorial on how to compile a kernel
> from source?

A quick google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&q=linux+kernel+building+HOWTO

The first google hit:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

The kernel source itself comes with a brief README and a good
Documentation folder with info on specific drivers. You might also have
a /usr/doc/HOWTO/* directory full of text and/or HTML files with most of
the LDP HOWTOs already on your box.

Hope this helps.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>