Re: [SLUG] Florida (?Tampa?) Power-outage occurance..

From: Jim Lange (jlange1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 01:42:11 EDT

> I have lived in Pasco County (200 yards from New Tampa) for 4+ years.
> Roughly 10 times a year we get a power interruption of ~1 second. Just
> enough to reboot the computers and reset the clocks in all of the
> appliances. These interruptions seem to mostly happen on Monday
> mornings (either the power company likes to test their equipment on that
> schedule, or my perception is skewed by that old bugaboo...Monday
> Morning).

Its the switchgear, caused by Enron routing the electricity through
California :)

But seriously, I always sort of liked the concept of the rotating UPS'
or rups. You don't have the expensive battery replacement every few
years. Where I work it costs over $10,000 to do this. Another thing is
that some ups' brains are powered by the batteries. So if the batteries
go dead, (like it the generators don't start) it ain't smart enough to
recharge itself. I've had to use an external battery charger to charge
the batteries which seems silly consider ups' have chargers built in.
Also, say if you have 48 batteries connected in series, all it takes is
one bad one.

At home I use no protection (for my computer) because I like an excuse
to upgrade. My wife doesn't like it when her computer doesn't work.:)
Jim