Re: [SLUG] Florida (?Tampa?) Power-outage occurance..

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 05:33:02 EDT

> What is the DEAL with the power outages around here?? I went for two
> whole years in Germany without one single power outage -- I've lived
> here for a little over three weeks and there have already been two, one
> that lasted for at least 5 hours. Are the power co. techs that
> incompetent or is the infrastructure that weak? I'd think that they
> would have found some way to protect the system from mother nature by
> now...

I have lived in Pasco County (200 yards from New Tampa) for 4+ years.
Roughly 10 times a year we get a power interruption of ~1 second. Just
enough to reboot the computers and reset the clocks in all of the
appliances. These interruptions seem to mostly happen on Monday
mornings (either the power company likes to test their equipment on that
schedule, or my perception is skewed by that old bugaboo...Monday
Morning). We have never had a >2 second power outage in those 4 years.
  Just lucky?

--ronan

PS: I lived in Germany for 1.5 years, and never had a power outage. One
'advantage' enjoyed by the Germans is that basically 100% of the
electrical infrastructure is less than 57 years old. And they replaced
it all at once, so they didn't have to cruft-it-up, retaining backward
compatibility.