Re: [SLUG] Postscript Editor

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 01:34:29 EDT

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:46:16PM -0400, Russ Herrold wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of an editor of some kind that can directly edit postscript
> > files? I've got a postscript file that I'd like to add some text to, but
> > it's so dense and I know so little about the internals of postscript,
> > that I don't know how to add text manually.
>
> Depends on how major the changes are:

<snip>

It's an invoice form (the headers and labels and such). Normally we have
these offset printed, and then I run them through the laser to add
amounts and remarks, etc. But it occurred to me that if I could take the
whole thing and send it to the printer, without having to have the forms
printed, it would be kewl. I could just reserve some slots in the
postscript for the actual amounts an remarks, and then have a program
replace the slots with my text. Out to the laser, and voila.

This form was generated by my wife on a Windows box, and I had her dump
it out to postscript so I could play with it. If I can find an editor to
edit the stuff, I can stick in sample amounts and such, and then diff
the original and revised copy. Then I can see where to add the text.

Paul