Re: [SLUG] Telnet oddities

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 23:56:50 EDT

On Thursday 27 June 2002 23:23, Paul M Foster wrote:
> <disclaimer>
> Don't rag on me about telnet. This is internal to a network with no
> internet connection. All users are "trusted".
> </disclaimer>
>
> The facts:
>
> 1) A network with one 2 Windows boxes and 3 Linux boxes.
> 2) The Windows box can ping all boxes on the network, both by IP and by
> name.
> 3) The Windows box can telnet into the server (RH62), bullwinkle.
> 4) The Windows box can't telnet into another specific Linux machine
> (RH61), felix.
> 5) There is no firewalling code running on any boxes.
>
> I assume that when a box gets a telnet request, it starts the telnet
> daemon by itself. This is what seems to happen in looking at ps output.
> Assuming that this service is not blocked for some other reason on
> felix (as with /etc/inetd.conf),
>
> Question:
>
> Can you think of any reason why felix would not respond to a telnet
> request?
>
> Paul

For telnet to answer it needs to be running & listening to a port. It is
normally handled by either inetd or xinetd.

You would find it defined in /etc/services, started in /etc/inetd, make sure
it's not commented out. It could also be in /etc/hosts.allow and .deny

You can see if your computer is listening on with:

netstat -a|less (it would be in the top portion)

There's another condition I ran into a while ago. Two win98 clients could not
talk to a w2k server but could talk to each other. The why was nics that did
not auto switch between 10 and 100 MHz. (Running two different speeds on a
LAN is not good for performance as the whole leg slows down while the slower
one is talking. If you use a hub that's really bad as there's a lot more
traffic on all ports, including your 10Mhz nics.)

--

Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.