Re: [SLUG] Telnet oddities

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 09:41:28 EDT

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 23:23, Paul M Foster wrote:
> 4) The Windows box can't telnet into another specific Linux machine
> (RH61), felix.
> 5) There is no firewalling code running on any boxes.

A few suggestions:
1) run `netstat -nl|grep 23` to see if the system is listening for any
connections on the standard telnet port.
You should see something similar to:
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

2) as root, run `tcpdump -i ethx tcp port 23` on felix before you
attempt to telnet from the Windows box.
You can "see" whether the traffic is making it to felix.

3) Attempt to telnet from bullwinkle to felix.
Is it global or isolated to the Windows box connecting to felix?

Typically telnet is spawned from the (x)inetd superdaemon. Look for a
telnet entry in /etc/(x)inetd.conf OR look for the file
/etc/xinetd/telnet (I don't use RedHat, so I am not sure which version
uses which). Make sure telnet is not commented out in (x)inetd.conf or
set to "disable = yes" in /etc/xinetd/telnet.

HTH

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator