RE: [SLUG] runing X from remote console

From: Ken Billings (ken@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 16:30:26 EDT

> On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 10:42, Seth Hollen wrote:
>
> Assuming the remote host is listening for remote X sessions:
>
> # X -query <ip or hostname> :2

To get X to listen, check out the XDMCP howto from this page:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/apps.html#GUI There's also a more
general howto on running single remote X apps.
In a nutshell, you need to edit your gdm.conf (for gnome)or kdm.conf (KDE)
to enable XDMCP connections. On my system, it lives in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf.
The config file is fairly self-explanatory (xdmcp=1, for example) Look to
see that it's enabled and is listening to the correct port. Also, be very
certain that the port is not directly accessible from the internet.
-Ken