RE: [SLUG] runing X from remote console

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 17:19:41 EDT

If you really want a full desktop remotely, use Xnest:

        localbox$ ssh -c blowfish -X remotebox
        Password: ********
        remotebox$ Xnest :1 -query localhost

This should pop back a full X display pulling an XDMCP desktop directly
from your xdm/gdm/kdm/?dm display manager on that box (assuming it is
configured with XDMCP support, some distributions rightfully leave this
feature disabled).

Alternatively, you can install vncserver on the remote box and vncviewer
on your local box and use port forwarding:

        localbox$ su - root
        localbox# apt-get install xvncviewer
        localbox# ssh remotebox
        remotebox# apt-get install vncserver
        remotebox# vncserver :1
        remotebox# exit
        localbox# exit

Now, you need two windows open:

        localbox$ ssh -c blowfish -L 5901:localhost:5901 remotemachine
        remotebox$ vmstat 10 # need a session keepalive

And in another local window:

        localbox$ vncviewer :5901

You should have a remote X11 session without the overhead of tunneled
X11 (vnc is *much* lighter). If you have TridiaVNC or tightvnc, you can
also do:

        localbox$ vncviewer -encodings "tight zlib" :5901

which speeds things up incredibly.

        http://www.tightvnc.org
        http://www.tridiavnc.org

Enjoy.