Re: [SLUG] Slug posts slow or what?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 19:04:43 EDT

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:34:26AM -0400, Mikes work account wrote:

> I sent two posts to slug. One showed up within 5 or 10 minutes. The second
> sent right after the first has not shown up yet and it has been over 30
> minutes.
>
> What gives? Is the major only allowing one post every so often??

Well, we didn't want to say anything, but yes, certain people are
prohibited from posting more than twice a day. It just depends on
whether we like certain people or not.

Just kidding, Mike!

This has been discussed before, and the NKS people have spent some time
working on the server this list is hosted on. There appears to have been
some improvement, but I have to make one point. This list is a private
one, meaning that no one can post to it unless they are subscribed. What
this means is that majordomo has to do a lot more work whenever a post
comes through. It's mentioned in the majordomo FAQs that this will
measurably slow down such a list.

I have been on open-posting lists before, and I don't like them. When
someone posts, they may or may not be on the list. So they may not
benefit from anything you say on list. So you end up having to send them
a separate copy. People complain about getting more than one copy of
posts. It's just a mess, in my opinion.

Bottom line is that posts to the list may take a bit to show up.
Hopefully not hours, though. ;-}

Paul