Re: [SLUG] DUAL BOOT

From: Federico Paini (federico@federicopaini.com)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 17:29:10 EDT

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 16:38:04 -0400
steve <steve@itcom.net> wrote:

> A small boot partition inside the first 1024 cylinders applies only if you
> have an old BIOS.
That is true but not enatirely correct. In my experience (with new machines) Lilo will not boot on a large disk regardless of the BIOS, that's why you need a small boot partition.
I don't know about Grub or other boot managers.

> The only thing is that windows does not play nice with others. So you install
> it first. I don't use NTFS because it's not entirely supported under Linux.
> My win partitions are always fat32 in all its poor implementations.

I use NTFS and I find it a lot better than fat32. If you use windows a lot I think NTFS is the way to go.
It is true that it is not entirely supported but you can cross that obstacle with a different partition in Fat32 (not the first C drive) to communicate between linux and windows.

Federico