[SLUG] Media icons @ your library, or how I learned to stop worrying and love open standards

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 19:39:53 EDT

Three cheers for XML and XSLT! I've just taught our library catalog to recognize types of media and display useful icons:

Audiobook on CD
Audiobook on tape
Film on DVD
Film on laserdisc
Film on VHS
Large print
Music on CD
Music on tape

This library catalog will be used in parts of Pinellas, Pasco, and Polk later this year. It's already in unofficial beta. :)

Here's a list of sound recordings by Robert James Waller. Notice that
"Border Music" is actually an audiobook, and "The Ballads of Madison
County" is music.

http://ipac.tblc.org/&index=AA&term=Waller%2C+Robert+James%2C+1939-&limit=TIT01+%3D+%5BSOUND+RECORDING%5D

Here's a list of things called "Amadeus" on VHS, music CD and DVD.

http://ipac.tblc.org/&term=Amadeus&index=TL&uri=link=1100002@!P25202@!1100001@!1100002

Here are some Jean Auel books, some of which are in LARGE PRINT.

http://ipac.tblc.org/&term=jean+auel&index=AW

And here's something truly unusual: a laserdisc!

http://ipac.tblc.org/&index=AW&term=cousteau&oper=and&index=AW&term=serling

Ben

PS: Who says librarians are boring?
PPS: Oh, hush.