Re: [SLUG] Question going out to Robin

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 14:42:37 EDT

bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Hello Robin,
> Did Futurenet press save the Linux Format Magazine ? I thought they were out
> for the count according to
> some stories I read about a year ago. Or did they some how bring it back
> out?

LinuxFormat is still going, as far as I know, with a very small, UK-only
circulation.

As far as other Linux publications' problems, it's not just Linux. We
are in the midst of the worst advertising market in 30 years in *all*
media. It's especially bad for tech-oriented media, since the IT
industry is in a full-blown recession, perhaps because so many companies
overspent so radically on computer hardware and software between 1997
and 2000.

"Things are going to get better next quarter," is the thought that keeps
everyone going -- but we've been hearing it for almost two years now so
a certain amount of cynicism is allowed.

I personally think Microsoft ads in Linux Magazine are wonderful. We've
had Microsoft ads on OSDN, too. Linux Mag editor/publisher Adam Goodman
and I have chortled to each other more than once about being damn near
the only people in the IT publishing business who get money from
Microsoft instead of giving it to them. :)

Don't worry, Bill. This is all just temporary. Things are bound to get
better next quarter....

- Robin