Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Repair

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 14:40:37 EDT

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 14:13, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get a hard drive to unfreeze after nonusage for 3 to 5
> years?

Use lukewarm, not hot, water in the sink. Soak on both sides for ~15
minutes. I use the same technique when I need to defrost meats safely on
short notice.

But seriously, what do you mean by freeze? Does the drive appear to have
no power? Or does the drive have power, but the heads or platters aren't
functioning properly?

> Hard drive is in an old 386 laptop that has been setting on a shelf for five
> years.

386 Lsptop = a mini Linux firewall perhaps? Coyote Linux?

> The critical part is not the hard drive but the data stored on the hard drive.

If something is mechanically wrong with drive, you will more than likely
need to send the drive to the manufacturer for repair, at which point
they will not guarantee data integrity -- assuming the manufacturer is
still in business and/or supporting the old drive.
How important is the data? Is it a recipe for guacamole brownies or next
weeks winning lottery number?
I suspect it would be expensive to have a advanced data recovery company
look at the drive:
http://www.google.com/search?q=advanced+data+recovery

--
Matt Miller