Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Repair

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 22:36:27 EDT

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:25:11PM -0400, Matthew Moen wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Has anyone attempted intimidation with firearms? I'm guessing that has
> > potential as well. ;-)
> >

> If microwaves, power tools, and 9mm handguns don't work, and you have
> several hundred dollars to blow, you can try companies that recover data
> off hard drives. I believe there's one in Clearwater called Data
> Recovery Services. They can't guarantee anything, and they require money
> up front just to look at the drive. But they actually open up drives in
> a clean room environment and manage to get data off of dead drives quite
> often.
>
> Paul

Where I used to work we would occasionally send some whining,
what's-a-backup?, I-lost-my-steamed-broccoli-recipe!,
gimme-another-company-laptop-NOW!,
sure-I-can-toss-it-into-the-rear-passenger-seat-from-the-driver's-door,
luser's drive off to Ontrack. I think they wanted something like $200
to tell you if they could get anything off it or not, and then around $800
more to actually ship you the CDs with whatever they got. I just checked
their website (ontrack.com) and they want info to give you a quote these
days. We might have had some package deal going. A smaller, local shop
might have better prices.

I always hated spending a $grand of my employer's funds so that someone
wouldn't have to be embarrassed about asking some other family member for
the sister-in-law's phone number they lost, though there were times when
the data made $1000 look cheap.

I always thought that most people didn't get back-up religion until they
suffered serious data loss. Ontrack stole my potential converts.

Do you have those files on some old tape laying around somewhere?

Good luck,
Greg