Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Repair

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 22:54:12 EDT

> Well it set up for 5 years and it is a 386 box and I seem to recall buying
the
> computer in 82 or was it 83 not quite certain there so it must be 20 years
or
> so old.

You must be thinking of 92 or 93. The original IBM PC was in 1981, and
the 6 MHz AT came in 1984. I bought my first AT in 1988. The AT used the
80286 CPU and 80287 co-proc. It was over $4k as I recall, for a full system,
including EGA 320 x 640 video. All 16 bit ISA slots.

> As to freeze up. It starts, spends up, and then starts to read but
apparently
> the rear arm does not move because you keep hearing it click.
>
> I have tried bouncing the computer not too hard and numerous start
attempts
> but so far no greater action.

The Seagate ST-251 drive was the first one notorious for "stiction" which
was
failure to spin-up on system powerup. Sometimes just whacking the system
case would start it, sometimes not. This was, I believe, a 40 MB MFM drive.
Mine was in the AT I mentioned above. I eventually had to mount the drive
where I could reach in through the front opening, to jiggle it when it
wouldn't start.

When I bought it, I was supposed to get a 30 MB drive. The 40 had just come
out, They said, you'll never fill THIS one !!

Finally got a 386 in about 1992 with a 420 MB drive and the AT went in the
dumpster.
By then the drive had died.

Bob