Re: [SLUG] Getting You Resume Read

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 23:09:23 EDT

On Friday 19 July 2002 00:34, you wrote:

> 1. Keep very accurate notes of who is who, when you contacted them, and
> what they want, and when.

And don't forget to send a follow-up note. Have the note card ready in your
briefcase or car, have a stamp already on the envelope, make specific
reference to the meeting you just walked out of, thank the interviewer and
MAKE YOURSELF EASY TO CONTACT!

You are "a techie". Get a cell phone. Get a "real" e-mail address ... not a
"throwaway". Set up a personal web site that simply "zings" of
professionalism. Make certain everyone of these means of contact is on your
cover letter and resume. If someone besides you will be answering your
phone, make certain they have some class ...yelling "Hey Harry ... some broad
wants to talk to ya ... see if she's got a sister, eh?" may leave you with
nothing more than a dial tone by the time you get to the phone. And why not,
you obviously hang out with ill-mannered louts and most likely are no better,
yourself.

Then, drop the thank-you follow-up note in the first mailbox you see. Don't
shank this part unless you don't care if you get the job or not. Spelling
counts. Punctuation counts. Phrasing counts. This is for all the marbles ...
make it right.

It will arrive in a couple of days and serve as a memory refresher to the
interviewer and set you apart from the "foot in the doors" who haven't your
finesse.

A couple of times I have had an interviewer specifically mention the
follow-up card as setting me apart and getting me the second interview.

--
 10:21pm  up 3 days, 21:44,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.01

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.