Re: [SLUG] GNOME opinions

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 21:41:55 EDT

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 20:18, warlord wrote:
> Well, just thought I'd get everyones opinion on the new version of GNOME.. I'm
> basically a KDE user but would like to try GNOME 2 when Mandrake RPM's are
> available, currently I can't find any so I thought I'd get opinions before I
> have access to them...
>
> so anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason Pratt
> warlord@tampabay.rr.com

        I use Gnome 1.4&Sawmill (The artist formerly known as "SawFish,")
on top of Debian Potato. Since I went with
this particular flavor of Gnome/Linux, I have
had none of the problems I used to have running Gnome with SuSE 7.2.
Pro. (Yes I know SuSE is KDE biased, but my sister company is in
Venice, Italy, and they eat and breathe SuSE, so I use it at work.) With
my Debian box, all the applets work perfectly (I love monitoring the
weather in real time.) Yes, I, "MADE" them work at work with SuSE 7.2
Pro, by building them from source, but they worked perfectly straight
out of my Potato ISO CDROM, and Joe Sixpack craveth not, tar -zxvf;
make; make install;.
        I know Debian has officially endorsed "Woody," or Debian 3.0 as of
yesterday, but I like the stolid box I have. It works perfectly, I love
it. I will apt-get -dist-upgrade later.
        Regarding the new version (Gnome 2.0) I can't wait until all the old
applets work with it. When then they do, I will give it a whirl. For
the moment, as of Friday, while Woody was still unstable, I installed
installed my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4000,) with SuSE 7.2 (work
constraints) with Gnome 2.0, and my only complaint was the lack of my
favorite applets from Gnome 1.4. It seems stable with Open Orifice.
        Sorry, don't know what distro you use, but my opinion is stick with
Gnome 1.4, or use 2.0 if you frequently use, "bugbuddy," to postulate
your vexations.

Ciao,

Logan

--
9:05pm up 21 days, 21:03, 1 user, load average: 1.01, 1.02, 1.00
You will always have good luck in your personal affairs.