[SLUG] SAMBA problem need help - password broken

From: patrick grantham (pwgrant@cssi-fl.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 21:27:00 EDT

I have "broken" samba I need some expertise. Playing around, trying to get a
w2k box to "join the domain" managed by the samba server, passwords for two
users are no longer being accepted as valid. The passwords are valid to Unix
(as they can telnet to the box) but cannot map a network share to a drive
letter using either of the accounts to this share from the windows box.
Either the password dialog is redisplayed or "credentials conflict." It's
seems the samba passwords are not in synch with the Unix passwords. All this
seem to start when I used smbpasswd in a telnet session. I typed in a valid
old password and a cryptic error message was displayed after the new password
was entered:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was : ERRSRV -
ERRbadpw.

from that point on, that user can no longer conencted to any share.
Thoughtfully, I fouled up the the user before I stopped. For the other user
(other_user), only the home/other_user is no accessible. I set and reset the
"sync unix" passwords options, but no help. What can I do to bring the samba
password file in synch with the unix pwds? second how do I "properly" add a
w2k or nt workstation to the domain managed by the samba server.