Re: [SLUG] SAMBA problem need help - password broken

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 10:37:26 EDT

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 21:27, patrick grantham wrote:
> from that point on, that user can no longer connected to any share.
> Thoughtfully, I fouled up the the user before I stopped. For the other user
> (other_user), only the home/other_user is no accessible. I set and reset the
> "sync Unix" passwords options, but no help. What can I do to bring the samba
> password file in sync with the Unix pwds?

CAUTION: The following command is for generating the first time
smbpasswd file; it resets ALL smb passwords to the original 32 X
character hash. You would need to run smbpasswd for each user to
recreate their smb password. The only advantage of running the command
below is that it will replace the existing smbpasswd file and any
corruption that may lie therein.

    # cat /etc/passwd | /usr/sbin/mksmbpasswd > \
    /etc/samba/smbpasswd

> machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was : ERRSRV -
> ERRbadpw.

I have not seen that error before, but I see a lot of hits on google:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=ERRSRV+-++ERRbadpw

> second how do I "properly" add a
> w2k or nt workstation to the domain managed by the samba server.

The proper method is the same as adding a workstation to native MS PDC.
You may have run into a glitch. You can always run smbd manually in full
debug and tail the logs while adding a W2k or NT4 workstation to look
for any problems.

    # /path/to/smbd -D -d 10
    # tail -f /var/log/(samba.log;syslog;smbd.log)

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator