[SLUG] Neat project

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 08:29:22 EDT

Folks, the company that I work for produces software for the wireless
work environment, we have traditionally been utility (as in electric,
gas, water, etc) oriented, out in the field our products us a "MDT"
which is now days a laptop hardened or other wise for the field tech
to use. We have moved to a web based product, but when the field tech
is out of RF coverage the web brower talks to a internal web server on
the MDT so the tech can continue to do work.

We want to move this type of operation to a PDA, but so far they have
been looking at wince err WinCE, it does not have a web server that will
run on a PDA.

Here is the question, I have seen many very small web servers for different
LINUX functions does anyone know if a very small web server has been ported
to LINUX for the PDA's, if so that would be a very strong VERY STRONG, yea
verily VERY VERY STRONG reason for my company to move the field side to
LINUX
in order to be able to allow a PDA to continue to process field orders
even though the tech is out of RF coverage somewhere.

Any ideas, pretty please??

Chuck Hast
Telecomms Consultant, Utility Partners.
WEB www.utilpart.com
Office number: 813.282.8828 x 1175
C-phone number: 813.765.6743
E-mail: wchast@utilpart.com
SMS < 150 characters: 8137656743@mobile.att.net
ARS KP4DJT

To paraphrase my flight instructor;
"the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going out
and
having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn and twisted
metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com