Re: [SLUG] Neat project

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 19:30:52 EDT

You can download the freesco.org firewall that fits on a floppy. It also
has a small web server in it if I recall correctly.

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 08:29, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> Folks, the company that I work for produces software for the wireless
> work environment, we have traditionally been utility (as in electric,
> gas, water, etc) oriented, out in the field our products us a "MDT"
> which is now days a laptop hardened or other wise for the field tech
> to use. We have moved to a web based product, but when the field tech
> is out of RF coverage the web brower talks to a internal web server
> on the MDT so the tech can continue to do work.
>
> We want to move this type of operation to a PDA, but so far they have
> been looking at wince err WinCE, it does not have a web server that
> will run on a PDA.
>
> Here is the question, I have seen many very small web servers for
> different LINUX functions does anyone know if a very small web server
> has been ported to LINUX for the PDA's, if so that would be a very
> strong VERY STRONG, yea verily VERY VERY STRONG reason for my company
> to move the field side to LINUX
> in order to be able to allow a PDA to continue to process field
> orders even though the tech is out of RF coverage somewhere.
>
> Any ideas, pretty please??

>-- Chuck Hast
> Telecomms Consultant, Utility Partners.
> WEB www.utilpart.com
> Office number: 813.282.8828 x 1175
> C-phone number: 813.765.6743
> E-mail: wchast@utilpart.com
> SMS < 150 characters: 8137656743@mobile.att.net
> ARS KP4DJT
>
> To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my
> going out and
> having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn and
> twisted metal."

> are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
> it is addressed. If you have received this transmission in error,
> please notify the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you
> may have printed and remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard
> drive. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
> that do not relate to the official business of Utility Partners, Inc
> shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
>
> Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com

Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.