Re: [SLUG] can anyone help me ??

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 19:36:25 EDT

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 10:17, Martin C. Messer wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 18:38, Bill wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 July 2002 16:16, you wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > i have recently joined slug and i need help seting up
> > > my PC for a dual boot i have a copy of linux
> > > redhat7.3 can you help me get started
> >
> > Casey ... I haven't done a dual-boot in a long time but, IIRC, you
> > can get pretty good instructions from the Linux Documentation
> > Project. (Try using the google search engine for that term).
> >
> > IIRC, you first fdisk using Linux, reserving a portion of your hard
> > drive for a fat32 partition. Then install Windows. It will only see
> > the fat32 partition and be happy to install there. Then install
> > Linux and all should be well.

Actually that is not correct. You should use the fdisk util that comes
with the OS (DOS) to partition it. If you read the HOWTO's you'll see
the recommendation to use each OS's partition s/w.

What is correct is that you start by installing windows on either a
split disk (i.e. space reserved/available for each.) It's vital that
you use install windows first. Then go ahead with the linux install.

It will then either do the formatting for you or allow you to define
them your selves. Once done it will right a boot manager to the boot
sector of the disk. This will not at all interfer with windows.

If you devcide to get rid of linux you can erase the partitions and use
dos fdisk to over write LILO or GRUB bootloaders.

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.