Re: [SLUG] cheap digital camera and linux

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 05:04:47 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the less than $200 camers and
> gphoto on RedHat 7.3. I'm looking to get some photos from a cheap
> digital camera (yet to be purchesed) on to Linux for some work on ebay.

I've had disappointing results from sub-$200 digital cameras, regardless
of software and OS used. I have an Olympus D460 that cost me $299
several years ago that does fine; controllable exposure and focus
settings (important) and both optical and and electronic zoom. Works
fine with GPhoto. I believe there are now less costly Olympus models
that have many of the same features.

If you get one of those little USB card readers and use a camera that
stores images on smartcards (which most do), Gphoto compatibility isn't
an issue as long as your kernel is recent enough to recognize a USB device.

- Robin