Re: [SLUG] Need wild-eyed guess

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 18:17:49 EDT

On Friday 26 July 2002 16:45, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 16:19, Bill wrote:
> > I am able to ssh from box b to box a but not in the reverse direction.
> >
> > [root@organic-earth bill]# ssh 192.168.1.101
> > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
> >
> > I thought that mebbe I just needed a newer version of openssh but did a
> > very minimal install (Mandrake 8.0) on box b so am missing a boot load of
> > dependencies. Is there ANY clue from the message above that would let me
> > simply hack a config file and be on my way?
>
> Hmmmm...check out this link:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=ssh_exch
>ange_identification%3A+Connection+closed+by+remote+host&btnG=Google+Search
> Remember: "Google is your friend." :-)

I've been googling most of the day. I have been downloading files to "a" and
scp'ing them to "b" and trying to install them only to be met by dependency
problems at every turn. I kept getting deeper and deeper ... that's why I
posted for some help. Thanks bunches to ALL the folks who offered up
suggestions even if they weren't the full answer this time. I will be going
back over them in the near future to apply your knowledge to my situation and
to become a better admin. I am, indeed, grateful to be a member of not only
SLUG, but also a couple of other LUG's. You guys (and the occaisional gal!)
are the greatest!
---------------------------

And the lucky wiener is:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ssh_exchange_identification:+Connection+closed+by+remote+host&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=vs5r9uc4jg4j8uslfqmpkp228p2c2ukdf7%404ax.com&rnum=6

Thanks!

[root@b /root]# cat /etc/hosts.allow
#
# hosts.allow This file describes the names of the hosts which are
# allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
# by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
ALL : 192.168.1. <--- was empty
#
[root@b /root]#

The above is via ssh from box a to box b. Success. I may make this a bit more
restrictive in the future but it is working for now. Also rebooted it
remotely and logged in from "a" without having a login on "b" yet. All this
is new territory to me. I tried it way back at RH5.2 but didn't have enough
clues yet to pull it off. Now ... with help ... I can.

Aren't computers fun?

I'm building the second box to be a headless web server and needed a way to
administer it remotely. Now I have ssh. Webmin (https://192.168.1.101:10000)
bails out with "Connection closed by remote server". My guess is that I need
to convince Apache that I am an okay kinda guy.

Not having to twiddle with the KVM sure is a big help.

Bill

--
  5:35pm  up 10 days, 16:58,  4 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.15, 0.10

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.