Re: [SLUG] UPS Autoshutdown

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 11:44:49 EDT

I have been using apcupsd software for over two years now without any
problems. However, I use the serial cable connection instead of USB or
RJ45. Note: I use this instead of APC's linux software since my servers do
not have X installed. They are headless, mouse-less, and keyboard-less
boxes.

http://www.apcupsd.com/index.html

There are many options you can set such as time to shutdown, web status,
etc.

My HP servers have space bar, magic ping, and power on boot. The latter is
a great feature since when power is restored after an extended time
period (exceeding the shutdown period), it will automatically boot without
any user intervention ;-)

Kai

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Russell Hires wrote:

> Hello everyone....
> I finally bought myself a UPS unit from APC. A quick perusal of their site
> turned up no autoshutdown software for Linux, which they have for both Mac
> and Windows (of course). I've got a USB cable that is USB on one end (for the
> computer) and RJ-45 on the other (but not ethernet?) Obviously I need to make
> sure that it can be recognized as USB (I run kernel 2.2.21), but I also need
> to know if there is software to let the UPS tell my machine to shutdown if
> the power is out for an extended period.
>
> Can any help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Russell
>
> --
> Linux -- the OS for the Renaissance Man

- --

Kai Lien

DSA key ID 39BD44C0

Lense Consulting Company
www.lenseco.com

Fortune Cookie of the Day:

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
                -- Ernest Rutherford