Re: [SLUG] Questions regarding setting up a new web-site

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 18:10:57 EDT

On Sunday 28 July 2002 12:20, you wrote:

> Can i my put homepage to recognize "IE" and display a message
> that this web-site does not support IE and you should have
> betscape/mozilla to view this.Or will i be violating some law somewhere.
> Right i even don't have an idea what to put but i am just sick of
> websites proclaming to be only "IE".

Ranjan ... I will pass your email address off to a member of the Metro
Detroit LUG who recently did what you are suggesting ... Tom Allison, by
name.

But ... and hopefully you won't object to my butting in ... I'd like to
suggest that you write solid code, validate it using an automated validator
and announce to non-standards compliant browser users exactly what they are
missing ... a menu on this page, a useful illustration on that page. Then
give them links to upgrade thier browsers to something that WILL display
their stuff.

Google on over to ess/edge (top hit on the page) for some excellent css that
will ONLY display properly on Mozilla 1.0 ... because of broken standards
support in the other browsers.

My own web site is pretty pedestrian and "blah" right now. After looking at
the css/edge site, I am going to put out the effort to learn to use css the
way Meyers does. It looks great, it works nicely, it needs no Java /
Java-script and older versions of MSIE handle it no better than older
versions of Opera or Netscape.

Standards compliance can level the playing field like nothing else. Give
browser manufacturers a year after adoption of an RFC to incorporate it into
their product and then start writing code to meet it.

Unless the client has far too much money to spend on site coding, the days of
writing pages for 5 year old browsers are over.

_____________________

As regards content ... how about doing some QC on the installation
instructions of smaller packages? They could certainly use some help! I have
made FOUR modifications to the Makefile for gqcam (overcoming problems every
time) and it STILL won't compile even though I installed current versions of
every software program it asks for and also the programs those programs
depend on.

I'm no programmer. I'm stumped and the email list is a model of brevity. I
posted my problem, got two "one liner" answers and 3 "vacation / unsubscribe"
notices.

So, there is certainly plenty of room for improvement in the installation
instructions of a number of smaller programs and even a periodic review /
rewrite of the HOW-TO's. Some of them are becoming principally useful as
historical references.

Bill

--
  5:49pm  up 12 days, 17:12,  4 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.11, 0.02

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.