[SLUG] An idea to share..

From: Mark Banschbach (mrbear37@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 12:50:31 EDT

Greetings all !

  I thought I would share this with you. I recently
ran across a recycling newsgroup onthe net while
looking for some old memory I needed. I signed up for
the newsgroup since I have some interest in the global
welfare etc.

  I posted a letter introducing myself and told the
group that if they had old PC's laying around and
wanted to breath some life into them, they should
contact their local LUG and they would be happy to
show them how. ( i.e. doing an install and getting
them involved).

  Well, I immediately got an email from a lady in the
area of London who, had recently been donated 2 old
PC's that were to be used as part of a neighborhood
watch they had organized. She wanted help " getting
them to work". So, I got her in contact with the
Linux users gourp that I found near her in the
internet. She was extremely happy.

  This will do a few things. First, It will get Linux
on another computer that used to run M$. Second, in a
social organization, it will Put Linux in a positive
exeperience for all the people who use it. Possibly
even make others want to install it on their machines.
and Lastly, it will hopefully provide a vehicle for a
new group of LUG members there. All that while I was
sitting here at work on a coffee break.

Mark