Re: [SLUG] Re-flash motherboards?

From: Joe (mce@dalismustache.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 20:12:26 EDT

DO you have access to another mainboard of the same make/model?
If so here's what to do (it really is safe to do this)

1) Make a boot disk with the flash utility and the correct BIOS version for
your board.
2) Remove the BIOS chip from the good board and place it into the BIOS socket
of one of the boards with the bad flash.
3) Boot up the board with the new BIOS chip in it from the boot floppy you
made in step 1.
4) Carefully remove the BIOS chip (PLEASE USE A CHIP EXTRACTOR) while the
system is running (The BIOS code has already been loaded into RAM and the
chip is not needed to keep things running) and place the chip with the bad
flash on it.
5) Run the flash program and repeat process for other mainboard.

Please be careful when applying this method as you could damage your
mainboard with a carelessly placed metallic objects

I have performed this method on many a board to revive a bad flash it sounds
a bit extreme, but it works great!

-Joe