[SLUG] CDR[W] Drives and sessions

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 00:03:58 EDT

I know very little about CDR[W] drives, so excuse my ignorance here.

Is it possible to:

1. Record some stuff (data, not music) on a CDR[W].

My limited experience with this in Windows is like this:

fileA is 50M and fileB is 60M. The first time you just store fileA on
the CD. So the CD looks like this:

fileA
Space Used: 50M

The second time, you add fileB to the CD. Now it looks like this:

[fileA] <-- unreachable, but taking up 50M of space.
fileA, fileB <-- readable, taking up 50M+60M=110M of space.
Space Used: 160M (50M+110M)

This has something to do with "tracks" and "sessions" on a CD, but I
don't know how it all works. It looks like it copies the stuff from the
first time to a whole new part of the CD and cuts you off from the
original copy.

Somehow I want to be able to cumulatively add files to a CDR[W] without
having the old files take up unreachable space. Can someone explain this
to me or tell me how to do it?

Paul