Re: [SLUG] CDR[W] Drives and sessions

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 11:28:55 EDT

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 00:03, Paul M Foster wrote:
> I know very little about CDR[W] drives, so excuse my ignorance here.
>
> Is it possible to:
>
> 1. Record some stuff (data, not music) on a CDR[W].

Yes. The terminology used is called multisession.

> My limited experience with this in Windows is like this:
>
> fileA is 50M and fileB is 60M. The first time you just store fileA on
> the CD. So the CD looks like this:
>
> fileA
> Space Used: 50M
>
> The second time, you add fileB to the CD. Now it looks like this:
>
> [fileA] <-- unreachable, but taking up 50M of space.
> fileA, fileB <-- readable, taking up 50M+60M=110M of space.
> Space Used: 160M (50M+110M)

Most Win32 applications -- Nero, EZ CD creator and such have options to
record multiple sessions. One note: the cdrom reader (read: not a cdr/w)
must be able to read a multisession cd. You would hard pressed to find
any modern cdrom reader that does not understand multisessions.

Here's a good explanation from Roxio:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/cdr/multisession.html

--
Matt Miller