Re: [SLUG] Midnight Commander ftp

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 20:17:03 EDT

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 01:57:47AM -0400, steve wrote:

> On Friday 02 August 2002 01:11, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > You know how you can turn one of the panels in MC into the contents
> > of a remote server? You enter the details of the ftp connection in a
> > little dialog box, and MC makes the connection and shows you a panel
> > with that ftp server's content.
> >
> > I routinely ftp to a few sites, but I've never been able to make MC
> > save these settings for specific sites and make them easily
> > recallable. Does someone know how to do this, or it this just not
> > possible?
> >
> > Paul
>
> There's a macro language that comes with it. And you can have scripts
> written that you can execute like:
>
> /#mc:ftp:miguel:xxx@server/pub
>
> Or if you have mcserv running on a remote machine:
>
> /#mc:joe@foo.edu:11321/private
>
> All curtesy man pages for mc. : )

One of the longest man pages in history, I might add!

This was not exactly what I wanted. However, they do have something
called a "hotlist", which is a list of oft-used directories. You can add
something like:

/#ftp:username:password@ftp.server

Control-\ gets you to the hotlist. Then you can select which you want to
go directly to. That'll work.

Paul