Re: [SLUG] Recompile Redhat?

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 23:53:28 EDT

> I was wondering (and that usually leads to mischief) I have a AMD K62-500
> processor and Redhat 7.3 i386. Can I recompile the entire set of srpms to be
> optimized for my processor? Would I even want to do that? Would I even see
> any benefit?

in order: yes; this is a personal think only you can answers;
less that 5 per cent speed -- but your psyche would know ...
and you would have learned how to do an interesting thing; I
recompile all the time, and test heavily the Raw Hode tree of
Red Hat (and file bugs/ RFW's and patches, of occasion)

> I also have a Pentium 4 running Redhat i386 and I wonder the same question.
> Would I benefit from recompiling any parts of the OS? Or do I have to
> recompile the whole thing?

Recompiles of the kernel, and the libraries will help most.
Application layer less so.

-- Russ Herrold