Re: [SLUG] In need of dire help for Installing Linux on Compaq 2500 R

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 01:47:03 EDT

> Try FreeBsd, I could not get Redhat installed on any Compaq.

   If any brand of computer will install any dist., but not all others,
something is wrong, something that needs investigated.

> . . . . . . . . . . . The newer distro's all
> require 64MB for the installer. So you run the install in text mode.

   The latest Slackware (Ver. 8.1) requires 16 meg. of ram for X system,
and 4 for LINUX. I read: `the text based install program is looking dated'
but any video display and not much ram is needed.
   There are a lot of slip ups, giving the tools to make root and boot disks
in 1.2 meg floppies when 2.4 meg is insufficient now.
   (I learned that the hard way!)

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm