Re: [SLUG] Need Some Mother Board Recommendations

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 16:08:51 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> I have 750M of ram, 20G of hard drive, so what MB and processor
> do you recommend, this is going to be for a desk machine. I will be
> running RH 7.3 on it.
>
> The machine I am presently using (40G hd) will become a server,
> and the new machine will just be a work station. I am looking for
> recommendations, and if they are available local, or via the 'net.

I had good results with a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP. The LAN, Audio, USB (1.1 &
2.0), everything works. I did not try to use the Promise IDE RAID
controller (the MB has 2 ATA controllers (=4 drives) and 2 separate RAID
controllers).

One note: I had to upgrade to the 2.5.26 kernel to exploit the
high-speed ATA features. Under previous kernels, hdparm reported an
unbuffered xfer rate of ~6.7 MB/sec. The 2.5.26 kernel consistently
gets >21 MB/sec. My wife is doing digital video, and the old kernels
dropped a lot of frames when importing from camcorder.

--ronan

PS: She has an Athlon 2100+ chip. Between the CPU cooler and the case
and P/S fan, the machine is LOUD!