Re: [SLUG] Need Some Mother Board Recommendations

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 23:45:19 EDT

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 02:37 L, you wrote:

> Get the fastest Mommy board you can afford with as much ram
> as you can afford for your desk, and use the old Mommy board
> for your server.

As you saw I have 750M setting here right now waiting for a place
to go, and indeed the present board (650mhz cpu, 512M ram and
40G HD) will become the file and print server and later on a mail
server.

> What do you NEED a server for? Don't you want the fastest
> CPU you have on your desk confusor, so your compiles and `image
> type' conversions run as fast as possible? Just asking.

Yes indeed that is why the server will inherit the present board. I
just am looking for recommendations as to what to get.

> I have chums with a pentium IV 1.7 gig as their server and
> two pentium I's 233 mHz as their desk confusor, (one his - one
> his wife's) with no NEED for a server, other than to putts
> with as a hobby. My winblows chums don't compile, they pirate.

Off of the file server will hang my desktop LINUX box for my day
to day home stuff, my office box (company supplied win2k machine)
will also have access to it through SAMBA, and a mapping machine
which is also company supplied will have access to it. That machine
is where I will store my mapping work, I do RF coverage work for
utilities and whoever else needs RF coverage work, we can do both
modeling or like in the Verizon advert, "Can you hear me?, OK!" and
put it in a file or on paper so the client can see it. Those mapping files
are big so I do need a place to hold them off of my work boxes. Of
course I will soon have a box with a CD/DVD burner in order to
store them in a more reliable form, but right now I can do that at the
office.

> I have a two year old AMD 1 gig with 1 gig of DDR ram, hda = 40 gig
> and hdd is a 20 gig, I'm a happy compiler & (convert *.gif *.png)'er.

Yea that sounds about like what I am aiming for in terms of what I have
at hand right now for the desktop LINUX box. I just need a MB to plug
my 750M of ram (I will add 250 and go for the 1G B-] ) and HD into I
already have a case, I purchase this stuff when I get a chance and
see a good price, but I also know that there are MB that are flat out
trash on LINUX and any non-MS OS and I want to avoid getting one
of those, I used to run OS/2 and had that experience one time, it turned
out the MB just was built for windows and did not work well out side
of that environment.

As the server box grows it will probably break off into a file/print server
and a separate mail server, but right now I will contain the whole thing
in one box.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT