Re: [SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 10:51:31 EDT

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 23:26, Tim Jones wrote:

> It's true that Sun owns the Java you get from Sun, but IBM has a great Java
> compiler called Jikes, and there are different implementations of the JVM
> (the part that actually runs Java) that do not come from Sun, and as far as I
> know, those are NOT owned by Sun. It's also my understanding that the Java
> Language Specification and the Java Virtual Machine Specification are not
> restricted, so other IMPLEMENTATIONs of the compiler and JVM are not
> necessarily restricted. Sun controls only their implementations and their
> specifications.

Sun has complete control over the Java spec and their specific
implementations. (They tried to submit it to ISO, I believe, a couple
of years ago to get the Java Language Specification approved as an
actual spec, like with ANSI C and C++, but when the ISO refused to
approve it as a spec while still allowing Sun to completely own and
control the evolution of that spec, Sun withdrew the submission and took
their toys home with them.)

They don't care, in general, if someone else implements the Java
Language Specification, a-la kaffe, but they get pissy if you try to put
any kind of branding logo on your product without licensing it from Sun.

Which is why JBoss is the best J2EE platform available anywhere but
isn't "J2EE" because Sun won't let them use that term without licensing
nor will they allow JBoss to be tested against the J2EE conformance test
suite without paying another big licensing fee.

Of course Sun's argument is that they don't want Microsoft "polluting"
the spec if it becomes a totally open spec, but since they do that
anyway we know that the real reason is because Sun (and Scott McNealy in
particular) really just want to BE Microsoft.

So Java pretty much sucks in that regard.

> Could this be the topic of a presentation? I'm surprised no one has beat me
> to the punch on this one. I often see questions here I can answer, but
> usually someone steps up with a great explanation before I even get home to

It might be worthwhile going over how to get the JDK installed and
working on your Linux box, along with a few useful Java tools?
Unfortunately, going much further would probably have to turn into a
Java programming class, which would probably be too much.

> read it). I am planning to start coming to meetings again... the last one I
> came to was when a long-haired guy (sorry, can't remember his name, but I
> think he was from NKS) was doing a presentation on setting up iptables.

That would be me. Although the hair got cut a few months ago. It's
blue now, though, so that's something I guess. :)

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/