Re: [SLUG] HCC Linux/Unix courses

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 17:06:54 EDT

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 16:37, you wrote:

> I ask you guy's what harm is there in my spending $200 for my kid to sit in
> a classroom and learn something about Unix? If he can't pass the course,
> who is harmed? And finally, is this the way things are done around here
> all of the time?
>
> Joe Ryan

A seat in the class is actually worth quite a bit more, with taxpayers
footing the balance of the bill. That, at least, is the justification for the
run-around being handed a 14 year old and a 60 year old. Moreover, they have
so darned many high school graduates who are borderline illiterate and
innumerate that they are no-doubt leery of accepting even a talented young
man who hasn't at least gone through the motions of completing a HS (for
whatever additional value it might bring these days) diploma.

Finally, there is the matter of dealing with a machine. Your son has not
touched all the bases they deem necessary. We are free to open our own
colleges but we are not free to change their rules. Even if their rules don't
work very well. Grrrrr! Don't get me started!

A number of instructors at the local CC have been pushing very hard to get
Linux on campus for several years. So far, there is a Unix Sysad course with
a RH Linux 386 acting as server. Colleges generally only teach two subjects:
research and history. And you aren't permitted to study research until you
have memorized a lot of history.

BIll

--
  4:49pm  up 2 days, 17:06,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.04

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.