Re: [SLUG] HCC Linux/Unix courses

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 18:59:01 EDT

Hate to beat a dead horse but there is another pair of reasons - not normally
stated but which are probable more important than all of this.

If a university offers freshman college level courses to seniors in high
school and that student does well then the college will say that that student
was advanced or gifted.

If on the other hand the university offers junior, senior, or graduate course
to a freshman high school students and that student does well then there is a
major problem with accreditation. For an Ivy league college this is a small
problem as the university will then say that person is a genesis but for a
comunity college to do this on a regular bases then there is a major problem
with lifting of accreditation.

Then there is the problem that if the CC does it for one then they must do it
for all or else the CC is guilty of discrimination.

Loss of accreditation generally takes 5 years to re obtain and in the meantime
no student that attended that CC gain the use those credits at any
university.

The bottom line thus becomes no - not at this college.

Frank