Re: [SLUG] Anyone using Linux as basis of thin client system?

From: Tim Jones (tim@timjones.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 22:19:01 EDT

I have about 8 NCD X-terminals that used to belong to Central Command/MacDill
AFB. They're 17-inch, 8bit color, and they use PS/2 keyboards and Microsoft
serial mice, 8 megs of RAM, and have a 10-base-T ethernet connection.

I have been using them successfully for several years now (all over the
house). They boot off my Debian 3.0 system via TFTP (also the firmware allow
can do BOOTP and MOP), and while they're slow, they do work (even though they
certainly predate any serious use of Linux). Most of the usability problems
were related to exceeding the 8-bit colorspace (especially Netscape, Mozilla
and KDE2.2),

But KDE 3 has recently come out, and it was a HUGE surprise to me that
KDE3/Konq actually manages QUITE WELL within 8-bit color. I only expected it
to get worse, the fewer people running 8bit displays. I use kdm to manage
the XTerminals, and I also have an old laptop that I effectively converted
into an XTerminal (I run /usr/bin/X11;xhost myserver with nothing else, then
kdm on my server reaches out, and takes over the display).

Now, this is all at home - I fell in love with XTerms in 1995 and 1996 when I
worked at Lucent in Orlando, they had NCD XTerms all over the place!

Tim

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:44, Clay, John wrote:
> I'd like to establish a pilot scale linux based thin client system and
> would very much like to communicate (phone/email) with anyone who has
> significant, firsthand, experience in that arena.
>
> Goal of pilot system is to provide and evaluate basic word processing,
> spreadsheet and email services over a small business lan.
>
> I've reviewed some info that's available on the internet and so am not
> totally clueless but:
>
> * I am new to linux and;
> * talking with someone who has significant firsthand experience would
> be a major help.
>
> I don't suppose any of you are with the City of Largo?
>
> Please let me know if I may contact you and the prefered way (email,
> phone).
>
> Thanks
>
> John M. Clay
> Senior Engineer
> LFR Levine Fricke
> tel: (850) 422-2555
> e-mail: john.clay@lfr.com

Timothy Jones - tim@timjones.com / tjones@tsiconnections.com
Unix/Linux/Java Programmer/DBA/SystemAdmin & Brasswind Player