Re: [SLUG] Re: SMP-Tyan

From: Jim Lange (jlange1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 23:24:02 EDT

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 11:02, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
<snip>

> So, to answer your question, heat and memory are probably your biggest
> enemies. Sure, power can be a problem as well (you ARE using a 400W
> power supply, right?!), but from PAINFUL experience I can tell you that
> it is probably one of the first two things.

<snip>

I agree that it is probably not the ps, but I thought I'd ask what size
it was because I had a 300W on my system and it work fine----for
awhile. Then I did a reboot after it being on for 3-4 days and it never
came back. However, I moved the very same supply to my sons P3 system
and it works fine. My system is only a single Athlon XP 1800.

Don't forget the memtest program for checking memory. It definately
helped me find a marginal memory stick. I know Suse has it on their
distro and I believe it is also on the bootable credit card cd distro as
well as others.

Jim