Re: [SLUG] Re: SMP-Tyan

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 11:59:41 EDT

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 23:24, Jim Lange wrote:
> Don't forget the memtest program for checking memory. It definately
> helped me find a marginal memory stick. I know Suse has it on their
> distro and I believe it is also on the bootable credit card cd distro as
> well as others.

Ok, I'll end this thread with one last tidbit: memtest doesn't always
catch memory problems. Sure, it will find marginal memory sticks, but I
ran memtest for days with the unregistered ram in my Tyan mobo and found
no problems - yet swapping for registered DDR immediately solved my
lockup problems.

Memtest is a wonderful tool. Anyone who builds a system should use it as
part of their burn-in regimen. However, there are most definitely
occasions where memtest will NOT find a memory problem.

Another good tool to use for burn-ins is VA Linux's old Cerberus Test
Control Systen (CTCS):

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/

We use this at NKS as part of our burn-in testing - it's amazing the
things it will trigger that memtest simply will not find.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com