Re: [SLUG] Check this out

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 21:51:18 EDT

On Saturday 10 August 2002 01:02, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 06:02:23AM -0600, Carson Wilcox wrote:
> > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-948855.html
>
> I normally don't read the blathering comments that readers post about
> stories. But some weenie posted one with the title "Who cares?", and I
> thought I'd peek at it. The fellow refers to Linux as "proprietary
> technology", and IBM mainframes as non-scalable, and touts .NET as
> what's going to be running all the computers in the world. Obviously,
> he's a Microsoft schill. Fortunately some clueful readers punctured his
> little bubble.
>
> Paul

Paul thanks for the comments but as far as I can see the only statement in the
whole article worth commenting on is the following one:

"HP also is working at making printers easier to use in Linux, forming a new
working group in the Free Standards Group to try to simplify issues such as
installing printer software."

Now I don't know anything about what HP is doing but anything that renders
sanity out of the current printer confusion would be helpful. This would
especially be true if HP started making cheap printers in the $100 to $700
range that understood postscript so that ghost script could be tossed.

That would solve one of the two major outstanding issues for the normal (read
non computer techie) user.

Frank