Re: [SLUG] Implementation

From: Jan Mason (td376@mail.anonymizer.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 03:40:39 EDT

Check out the KRUD Red Hat Server distribution at the following site:

http://www.tummy.com/krudserver

~From their web site:

About KRUDserver

KRUDserver is a server-oriented version of our popular Red Hat tracking
distribution, KRUD.

Every organization that deploys servers needs a standard server
installation. KRUDserver is a server-oriented, regularly updated
distribution that enables System Administrators to install systems more
quickly and easily. Based on our popular Red Hat tracking distribution,
KRUD, it is specifically tuned for installation on non-workstation machines.

KRUDserver Benefits

~ * Faster installation of mail, web, database and file servers
~ * Kick-start configuration files allow common servers to be
installed with less interaction.
~ * Package groupings optimized for servers
~ * No CD swapping! Condensed to a single CD
~ * Lean, clean server distro.
~ o Reduce unused packages, workstation-oriented packages are
not installed
~ o No X Windows applications
~ o No Workstation-oriented tools
~ o No worries about security problems on packages you don't use

KRUDserver is updated every month, and is available by single CD and
Monthly CD Subscription.

We've been making KRUD since 1999. KRUD is a general-purpose
distribution, good for servers, workstations and multiple platforms.

KRUDserver makes installing servers a simple, repeatable process.

Larry Sanders wrote:
| So get RedHat 7.3 (maybe the professional box) and install it
| Get more ram. And a 20G drive or better so you can set partitions
| for /var and /home and maybe one for the SQL directory.
| Then you can select 'Install Everything' ( 3 to 4 GB).
| Use SWAT to configure SAMBA.
| you can do it.
| Larry :-)
|
| On Thursday 15 August 2002 11:09 pm, you wrote:
|
|>Ok guys
|>downloading Red Hat and giving it a try,
|>So my question is, I would like to take a spare 450 that we have in our
|>office and install Red Hat and configure that as a server to run with the
|>existing 4 NT4 servers in my office. How hard would that be? This is a
|>test to show how simple and quickly this can be done. Also, one server is
|>running Exchange 5.5 another is running SQL. Is there anything equal to
|>Exchange on the Linux platform?
|>
|>So what do you guys think, could I do it? My linux knowledge in the
server
|>area is pretty slim. But I'd like to show that it can coexist with
Windows
|>etc on the same network.
|>
|>-J

- --