Re: [SLUG] Problem Browsing Windows from Linux - More

From: Matt (matt@sandmcomputers.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 17:49:56 EDT

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 16:23, Clay, John wrote:
> Re: my samba server: Anyone have any ideas why my smbclient won't connect to
> the NT pdc. I've tried Nautilus with command: smb:
> That allows me to see all of the machines on the network including the pdc
> but it won't let me see the shares on the pdc or anything else.

What userid and password are being passed to the domain? You probably
are being granted guest privileges and have limited access to the
domain.

> I've also tried Konqueror with command: lan:/
> That returns "could not connect to host localhost"
> If I enter the command: $ host pdc
> I get: host pdc not found

Is the pdc "name" registered in DNS or just wins? The host command is a
client side extension specific to DNS. DNS and wins are two completely
different methods of resolving host names to ip's and vice versa. By
default, all Windows machines are registered in wins, but require an
administrator to add them to DNS if needed (execption: Win2000 AD
requires DNS entries).

> smbd and nmbd are running and I can browse other nt computers on the lan but
> I can't drill down to the disk shares on the pdc. Samba seems to be running
> OK from the nt client side as I can access a couple of shares on samba from
> nt. The nt server is service pack 6a.

Have you tried cli vs gui?
I would recommend trying the following:

    $ smbclient //pdc/netlogon -U <nt_userid>
    Password: <nt_password>

You should receive the following:

    Domain=[MPTC_TPA] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
    smb: \>

Now just type in ftp type commands like "cd", "ls", "get", "put", etc.

smbclient is part of the samba package, but does not require the samba
server functions to be running in order to work. smbclient is
essentially a ftp client for Windows shares.

Matt