Re: [SLUG] Implementation

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 00:27:52 EDT

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:09:42PM -0400, Jason Pratt wrote:

<snip>

> So my question is, I would like to take a spare 450 that we have in
> our office
> and install Red Hat and configure that as a server to run with the existing 4
> NT4 servers in my office. How hard would that be? This is a test to show how
> simple and quickly this can be done. Also, one server is running Exchange
> 5.5 another is running SQL. Is there anything equal to Exchange on the Linux
> platform?

Samba is the answer to running Linux in a Windows environment. Lots of
docs and help exists. Be careful of encryption issues with passwords and
such.

I think Evolution is supposed to be Linux's answer to Exchange, but of
course it's not an exact duplicate. I don't really know much about this
area, but if you're running a server, something like
sendmail/exim/postfix (or qmail-- hello, Martin) would be the way to go,
I would think.

Paul