Re: [SLUG] Looking for an answer to RCS

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 09:46:45 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:
> I would like to store all my documents under RCS. That part is easy. But
> what I really would like is to have the documents stored on a central
> server, so that I can get, update and save them from anyone of my
> computers. I have found information on how to run CVS to do this. But
> that's over kill for me. I just document revisions and that's all no
> project control etc. Everything I can find on CVS/RCS doesn't say
> anything about running or storing revisions on a central server unless
> you us CVS and I've heard there are security concerns with running CVS.
> In all my searching of the Internet I was unable to find any good
> information on setting something like this up. Can something like this
> be done? If so how do I go about doing it?
>
> Thanks
> Mike M.

As for security concerns, you can run CVS via SSH. This should make CVS
safe. I dislike hearing the overkill argument when talking about
OpenSource products. Why is CVS overkill, does it cost more? Does it
require lots of administration? Is it hard to set-up? None of these
things are true. You can even use CVS without setting-up the TCP/IP
daemon, either on one machine or on multiple machines with shared
filesystems (I don't advocate the latter except within secured LANs).

If you want help installing or using CVS, let me know. I have used CVS
for quite a few software projects, and the documentation (text and
binary WP formats) over the last four years. I am a big fan of CVS!

--ronan

PS: For these same reasons, PostgreSQL is not overkill compared to the
vastly inferior MySQL. IMNSHO.