RE: [SLUG] Browsing Windows from Linux - More - Better?

From: Clay, John (John.Clay@lfr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 10:20:08 EDT

Thanks for the tips Matt. I was able to attach to the pdc via smbclient as
you suggested so I'm sure that the root account on the nt box works. We
don't have a DNS server, only WINS. hosts has the pdc listed though.

I reviewed and followed Ian's email of 4/16/02 and discovered that I hadn't
added root to the smbpasswd file after I changed from Slack to RH 7.2. I
followed the instructions and joined samba to the nt domain but still can't
drill down to see the individual shares on the pdc.

Here is a little more detail:

I deleted/re-added the samba box machine account from the nt domain.

I then ran: # smbpasswd -r tlh-file-print -j lfrg-tlh

The samba box was added to the nt domain.

I'm logged onto samba as root and a root account exists on the pdc.

I fire up nautilus and can see computers on the network but still can't
drill down into the pdc (tlh-file-print) and see the shares.

"# nmblookup -A tlh-file-print" returns info on the status of the pdc.

Here is global portion of smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = LFRG-TLH
        netbios name = HUMPHRY
        server string = samba v% on (L%)
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        min passwd length = 5
        null passwords = Yes
        password server = TLH-FILE-PRINT
        unix password sync = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        wins server = 10.10.12.2
        guest account = guest
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins hosts bcast

Any more ideas as to how to resolve this?

Also, aside from browsing to a share, how does one "map" a share in linux?

Thanks again

John Clay
Tallahassee